Kia ora! Working with dogs all day in a great team? Surely that's the best job ever!
We provide doggy daycare, boarding facilities and grooming services for the furry friends of the wider Wellington region, and we pride ourselves in excellent care and service (and have a good laugh while doing it).
We are looking for a dog loving, motivated Dog Kennel Assistant with a can-do attitude who's not phased getting paw prints all over to join our dream team!
You've come this far, you're keen and want to know more about the role. So, what are we looking for?
• First and foremost, a dog lover! If you aren’t passionate, you won’t be a good fit.
• You need to know dog stuff. We’re looking for someone who has got experience looking after and caring for dogs.
• Naturally, with that experience, you can work unsupervised and under pressure. You’ve got your consistent pace and you can stick with it, so time management is in that tool kit of yours.
• You must be confident and capable with handling a variety of dogs and the demands of their owners. This means you've got no problems keeping calm during very busy periods.
• We’re all a second whanau here at our business. We communicate, give the dogs and their owners the best possible care and work as a team. If you aren’t a team player who support each other and who’s ready to get things done…sorry, you aren’t what we’re looking for.
• You have a full clean license, some travel may be required.
Those ticked boxes are looking good. Here’s some more about what you’ll actually be doing with us:
• You’ll keep our facilities to the highest standard of cleanliness. Doggy accidents are all factors for working with four legged friends, so no squirmish business. As well as that, your job is to be inspecting, preparing, cleaning and disinfecting the kennels and surrounding play areas. We need to comply with all health and safety procedures.
• Of course you'll provide care to our dogs, so you'll always be checking on their physical and emotional comfort and make sure they are fed at set times; this includes special dietary requirements and administering medicine.
• You're able to show who's boss in a pack of dogs and make sure every dog has got friends to play with and be firm but kind if one of the dogs are not playing nicely.
• Looking after our dogs is a very hands on role, but there will be a bit of note taking behind it. You’ll need to keep records of any requests from our dogs' owners and ready to update them when asked for. Don’t worry, we aren’t asking for tech savvy computer nerds. You’ll be shown and trained on our system.
• You’ll be part of the existing team and always looking to improve ways of working with dogs so you're keen to keep up to date with our industry standards and development.
• Professional communication with customers and team members is a must; you're in your element but all of us need to understand what’s happening in the kennels.
• You will be on your feet all shift, lifting heavy stock, up to 20kgs, so a bit of muscle is helpful. Who needs a gym day?
We have two locations: Glenside and Papakowhai. This position is mainly located in Glenside and we work in rotating shifts.
Since we provide boarding facilities for our guests whose owners most of the time are on holiday, only as an exception will you be able to take a holiday yourself during peak season which is every school and public holiday. Yes, we are that type of business where we work when others play!
Our whanau is a group of dedicated and passionate dog lovers. We’re thrilled our business is growing, even in the rockiness of Covid-19. We’re always excited to bring like-minded people to our wonderful little world.
Because we love being with the dogs so much, we don’t want to waste time on people who read one sentence of an advert and chuck their CV out to anyone. We want someone who has a strong love for dogs, but also a love for the company and who’s ready to help continue build us up as well.
So, if you think you've got what it takes, send us at firstname.lastname@example.org a short video of you telling us why you think you’re the new person we’re looking for together with your CV and cover letter and add in the subject line of the email “Your kuri is in good hands”.
That will be our first step to find out if you're really serious about taking on this opportunity. We look forward meeting you.
Hours of work:
Hours are variable