POSITION: SUPPORT WORKER / CAREGIVER
RATE PER HOUR: $20.50 - $25.00 – dependent on qualifications and experience
Community Connections – Te Hapori Awhina Tangata, is a community-based service which provides services for young people and adults with disabilities, and their families. We have a strong commitment to a person-centered approach so people can live the life they choose within their own community.
Our range of services includes Supported Living, Residential Support, and Neighbourhood Connections. We offer support to people who have a disability with the aim of providing them with the natural supports necessary for them to live in their own home, to connect with their community and to enjoy an independent, fulfilling life.
The employer is a disabled woman who lives in her own home in the Thorndon area and works in the city. She is looking for 2-3 Support Workers / Caregivers (preferably female) to be part of a small team to work with her. This is an ideal opportunity for someone who is passionate about working with her to live and fully participate in her community. The employer works part-time and is often involved in disability advocacy activities and campaigns - she sometimes needs to travel out of town. She needs people to meet her personal care support needs, help with managing her home and courtyard garden, and to assist her from time to time with getting out and about. Are you up for the challenge? Job Description The role primarily involves doing full personal care including toileting, showering, and dressing. A hoist is available for doing transfers when at home only. The employer weighs around 50 kgs so you need to be strong to be able to lift her, e.g., in her workplace. You will also need to cook and do some household tasks as required. Ideally you would drive her in her car from time to time (to take her to work/meetings, go shopping, go out for meals, attend functions/activities - including out of town, meet up with family and friends). Training is provided and will build upon any experience you already have. You would form part of a team and be expected to provide flexibility in covering other shifts within your availability as needed when other staff are sick or away.
• Saturday OR Sunday mornings - 8.00 am - 1.30 pm.
• Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday mornings - 7:30 am - 9:30 am
• Tuesday and Wednesday lunchtimes - 12:30 pm - 1:30 pm (at her workplace)
• Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday dinner times - 5.30 pm - 7.30 pm (includes cooking a meal)
• Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday bedtimes - 9.45 pm - 11.00 pm
As this position usually involves short shifts (1.5 - 3 hours) it would be beneficial to live near Thorndon or have your own transport.
Qualifications and Experience
• Clean Full Driver’s License
• Own reliable vehicle will be an advantage.
• Current First Aid Certificate
• Studying towards or qualified in Health and Wellbeing, sports fitness, Physiotherapy, doctors (training will be provided for the right person).
• Prior experience preferred but not required.
• Be comfortable with technology - Community Connections has a cloud-based database and rostering system that staff need to access with their mobile devices.
Skills and Attributes
• Be a people person, able to build trusting and respectful relationships.
• Be able to work creatively and problem-solve.
• Have good community knowledge and be able to develop networks.
• Resilient • Diligent
• Kind and patient and be able to build trust and respectful relationships.
• Confidence in assisting with personal care.
• Social skills and the ability to relate well to others.
• Good time-management.
• Good level of fitness.
What Community Connections offer you?
• Flexibility - Choose the hours that will work for you. The employer is happy to discuss your availability, and there needs to be some flexible.
• An enthusiastic and supportive team to be part of.
• Further Careerforce education, from Level 2 to Level 4 – National Certificate in Health, Disability and Aged support which is fully funded by the company.
If you are a good fit for this position and looking for super flexible, well-paid work to fit around your studies
- Apply now! If you are ready to join our team please send through your CV and cover letter to Esther Gillam, email@example.com. Your cover letter should indicate your availability and why you believe you will be suitable for this role.
For more research on our organization please visit www.ccslt.org.nz
Hours of work:
Hours are variable
$20.00 - $25.00 per hour